Saturday, June 11, 2011

Homemade Raised Glazed Donuts

As soon as I saw the post on one of my favorite websites.... www.grocerybudget101.com , I knew I had to try it.  I've made donuts before but not ones that had yeast in them.  The recipe and instruction for making the glazed donuts seemed easy enough to follow.  I made them this morning and they are really good!



They are actually pretty simple to make and don't take very long.


Ingredients:

2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
2 T warm water
3/4 cup warm milk
2 1/2 T melted butter
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla


Mix the yeast, 1 cup of the flour and the sugar together and set aside.  Combine butter, water, milk, and egg in a mixer. ( Hello, my lovely Kitchen Aid).  Blend in flour, yeast, and sugar mixture.  Blend well (about 3 minutes)  Add vanilla, salt, and remaining flour.  The dough should be very soft but not sticky.  cover dough and let rise till double in size. 

 This is the point where I usually get impatient with yeast recipies....  I pre heated the oven to 200 then shut it off.  Placed a pan of boiling water on the rack and placed my dough in the oven to rise.  It's called a moist rising method.  She explains it in the original recipe.    It really works.  Cut the rising time by alot.


Once the dough has risen turn it on to a floured board and roll it out to 1/2 inch thick.  Cut with a donut cutter.  I don't have one so I used two different sized buscit cutters.  I also cut some into bars when i got tired of re-rolling the dough.  It seemed to get more tough the more I handled the dough.


Let the donuts rest for about 15 minutes while you heat up the oil.  Fry in batches for about 60 seconds per side.  I used pwderd sugar and a little hot water to make a glaze and flavored it with vanilla.  We also tried to make a chocolate and a butterscotch glaze but they didn't turn out that great. 

It's a great recipe that I plan to make again.

No comments:

Post a Comment