Saturday, April 30, 2011

20 lbs of ground beef.

Gotta love the case prices at Sam's club.  Right now ground beef is about 3.00 per pound at the grocery store. at Sam's club today the by the case price was $2.20 per pound. I should mention that I didn't know how many pounds came in a case.  To my suprise it was 80 POUNDS!!!  You definately need some friends to go in on this one with you.  Here's what I did with 20 Pounds of ground beef.


The ground beef at Sam's club comes in 10 lb rolls. Yes, I had 8 of them in my kitchen. Luckly it's not all mine.

First thing I did was make little slits in the plastic so I had 10 equal pieces.  then I cut through the plastic so i has 2 lb increments.  There are 5 of us so I usually use 2 lbs of ground beef when I cook taco's or make meatloaf, so I figured why not just make them all 2 lb pkgs......

The best way to make space in your freezeris to freeze flat.  Ground beef thaws nice and even that way too!  I put each 2 lb piece in 1 lg freezer Ziplock back and flattened it.  I froze them flat in the freezer untill solid then I could stand them up on end to store them.



I ended up with 10 freezer bags of ground beef.  Some of it I will eventually make a batch of meatballs out of for the freezer. When I make burgers to barbeque I won't use the whole 2 lbs so I will cook up what I don't use and store in the freezer for adding to casseroles or making quick spaghetti.  I discovered having  cooked bround beef ready to go really pays off when you forgot to take something out of the freezer for dinner and you are short on time.  $44.00 worth of ground beef boken up into 10 freezer pkgs that should yield 13 family meals.  That's $3.30 in meat for each meal for a family of 5.  Not too shabby!

No comments:

Post a Comment