Saturday, April 30, 2011

25 lbs. of Chicken

I've actually been looking forward to this post.  I'm pretty proud of savvy deal.  Did you know that Sam's club sells meat at case prices? If you have a large or extra freezer, it's really worth it. I don't, so I conspired with my mother in law to get this great deal.  Their boneless skinless chicken breasts were $1.97 a lb today in their big pkgs. Work out to about 12-13.00 per pkg with about 10-12 breasts in each one.  If you buy it by the case it's $1.66 per lb.  A case consists of 8 lg pkgs.  I asked the meat guy there to make me a case as close to 50 lbs as possible. He came in at 49.77 lbs.  $82.00 for 50 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts. Split that with my mother in law, roughly $40 a piece.  It took me almost 2 hours but I have about 12-13 meals in the freezer, for about $40.00.  Here's how I broke it all down.


My 25 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts

I took it 1 pkg at a time......

I took each breast and cleaned it (cut off all the yucky white stuff). Then I tried to match up equal sized breasts to keep whole.  I took the smaller ones and sliced them up for either stir fry or fajitas.
I flash froze them on a cookie sheet so I could store them in a large ziplock bag for easy use.



I Should get about 3 meals out of this bag!


I took the whole chicken breasts and packed then in packs of 5. Makes sense since there are 5 of us....

I discovered 1/2 way through that if I turn the breast over it's super easy to separate the little extra piece on the breast and use them for chicken tenders.....


I can fit 2 pkgs in 1 lg ziplock freezer bag. I made 7 meal size pgks of breasts.

 I wish I had thought of that little trick of cutting off the tenders at the beginning of the whole process.  I ended up with 36 chicken tenders flash frozen.

I can use the chicken tenders for kebabs, skillet meals, or just make chicken strips.... Hopefully it will be 3 meals worth. 

The end result...... 13 meals worth of meat for about $40.00. about $3.00 per meal for a family of 5.
















No comments:

Post a Comment