Monday, April 25, 2011

Waffle Iron Brownies

There is a little bit of a story behind this recipe.  My waffle iron was given to me by my husband on my birthday the night he proposed.  For basically the sole purpose of making these brownies.  It wasn't untill I had kids that I ever made a waffle in my waffle iron.  The recipe that came with the waffle iron was from my mother in law.  I'm not exactly sure where it came from but OH, MY these are so good.  Not like a traditional brownie but not like a cake either.

1/2 Cup Shortening
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/4 cup flour              
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa             
                                             


Mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon,salt and cocoa together and set aside.
blend shortening and brown sugar.  Add the milk, eggs, and vanilla.  Once combined add the dry ingredients, stir till it's all nice and creamy.   Drop by heaping tablespoons on to HOT greased wafffle iron.  I use a cookie scoop.  Close lid and bake untill steam stops comming from waffle iron.  Remove using two forks.  It can be a little tricky till you get the hang of it.  Every waffle iron cooks a little differently.  You want them soft but firm at the same time.  Cool on wire racks. Store in airtight container.


These are so Yummy!

Great with coffee for breakfast.  Use for ice cream sandwiches.  Dust with powdered sugar.  Ha ha or make an ice cream sandwich AND dust it with powdered sugar, then drizzle with chocolate syrup.  YUM! 

They are tasty just plain too.  Good chocolate flavor, not too sweet.  Perfect for that late night snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment