Sunday, April 24, 2011

Onion Strings Oh My!

While surfing the internet I came across a recipe for Onion Strings .  Great article and it's an entertaining read.  I often buy buttermilk for recipies so I'm always looking other ways of using it up before it goes bad.  This one is definately a new favorite.  The kids gobbled them up.


Picture these piled up on top of a steak or a great cheesburger. 
They are also great just by the handful....


Peel, then clice 2 yellow onions paper thin.  And I mean Paper thin!!
Separate rings and soak in 2 cups Buttermilk.  Press them in the dish so they are all touching the milk.
Soak for at least 1 hour.

Heat Oil for deep frying to 350 degrees.

In a bowl mix 2 cups flour
1 T salt
1 T cayenne pepper
2 T black pepper

Using Tongs grab some onions and dredge them in the flour mixure.  a fork actually works pretty good because you don't want them to clump together.    Shake off excess flour and plunge into hot oil.  They only take a few minutes to turn golden brown.  Remove and place on paper towels to cool. Repeat with the rest of the onions.  I'm not kidding these things are so good!













No comments:

Post a Comment