Saturday, March 26, 2011

Mac and Cheese not from the "box"

I have tried a few homemade Mac n Cheese recipies but no one likes them.  I found one in a cookbook that 2 out of my 3 kids will eat.   The book is Big snacks, Little Meals  by Rose Dunnington.  It's got quite a few good recipies in it. 

My oldest agrees with dad and doesn't like baked Mac n Cheese. Guess I'm still searching for the best stovetop recipe.... I might just stick with the box on that one!

I've tweeked it a little because I thought it came out too saucey  for our liking, but it has great flavor.


1 16 oz pkg elbow noodles, cooked aldente

3 tblspn butter
1/2 an onion, grated
3 tblspn flour
2 cups milk
dash of nutmeg
4 oz each: Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Mozzarella cheeses
1/4 c bread crumbs ( I actually used crushed croutons)

Melt the butter then cook the onion for a couple of minutes.  Wisk in the flour.  Let it cook for a couple of minutes to get rid of the "flour" taste.  Gradually add the milk, whisking to break up the lumps.  Cook the sauce for about 8 minutes stirring occasionally, untill it thickens.  Stir in the cheeses.  Add the cooked noodles and stir it all together.  Pour into a greased casserole dish.  Top with bread crumbs and bake at 350 for about 35 minutes.

 
  You can't taste the onions and the nutmeg, but they really add to the flavor.  You could even change it up a bit with the type of cheeses. I have used pepper jack before just because that's what I had.  It was really good.  We call this one Kate's Mac n Cheese because the  cookbook is hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment