Sunday, May 29, 2011

Meat Pies



My Grandmother use to make meat pie. A whole pie filled with meat, potatoes, onions, and gravy.  While we absolutely loved it I found the kids when they were little weren't so keen on it. 1/2 of the pie would end up going to waste.  So I decided to make these little hand held versions.  Usually I would use leftover pot roast for the meat but I wanted to make up a batch for the freezer this time and I got a deal on beef sirloin roasts.  I used one to make Nana's Casserole and along side it cooked the other roast to make these pies.
 I just put some lipton onion soup mix and worcestershire on the roast and wrapped it in foil

Cooked it along side my  dinner for that night
Once cooled I cut it into little bite size pieces.  You could also just use leftovers for this.
Microwave a few potatoes until cooked, let cool and dice into small cubes.  Add to the cubed meat. Dice 1 onion and add to bowl.  This is also where I would add some frozen peas, (but I didn't have any).

 Onion gravy has the best flavor for this dish.  Make your own ow mix up a couple of cups of the cheap stuff.

 You want the mixture wet so it holds together but isn't soupy
You could be adventurous and make your own pie crust but I like the pre made kind from the store......
Unroll the pie crust and cut in half
Place about 3/4 cup of meat mixture on to 1/2 of crust
Fold over and pinch sides to seal pie
Place on baking sheet to bake. At this point you can either freeze them for an hour or so then place in ziplock bag.  They are great to pull out for a quick dinner, and there is no waste because it's 1 pie per person. 
Brush pies with egg white and bake at 400 until crust is nice and brown and filling hot.  About 30 minutes.  If baking frozen lower temperature and keep an eye on them.
Serve with extra Onion Gravy at the table.....   







No comments:

Post a Comment